Clarksville's Cell Phone Policy
Last year we adopted an “off and away” policy for personal communication devices, meaning that students do not have to keep cell phones in their lockers. While they cannot be used during instructional time or interrupt the instructional program, we do permit students to use their cell phones at certain times of the day. Please review the information below as it relates to the Clarksville's cell phone policy:
PERSONAL COMMUNICATION DEVICE GUIDELINES
- Students must comply with class and school rules and all relevant HCPSS Board Policies.
- Administration, faculty, and staff may request at any time that students turn off and put away technology devices. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action and possible revocation of privileges.
- Individuals assume full responsibility for their non-HCPSS owned technology devices. This includes the device’s safety, security and maintenance.
- When not in use, all devices must be in “silent & away.”
- Personal communication devices may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms at any time.
- No taking, uploading or sharing photos, recording audio, or capturing video during school or any HCPSS-sanctioned activities.
- Any disruption to class or other educational activity may result in disciplinary action.
- Students may not have the phone out in the hallway.
WHEN CAN KIDS USE THEIR DEVICES?
- Arrival until the entrance bell. - put away once students enter the building
- Dismissal - 3:08 for bus riders, and 3:15 for walkers and car riders
- At lunch/recess
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WE SHARED WITH STUDENTS
- If students wouldn’t want their teachers, administrators or parents seeing what they are viewing on their cell phones, then it probably is NOT appropriate in school
- If students do not feel well during the day they should visit the health room. Do not text parents in lieu of reporting to the health room
- Use of personal communication devices should not cause a disruption to the orderly operation of the school (such as traffic jams in the hallways)
- Ear buds are not permitted in school
- Students may not “talk on the phone” during school unless permission is given (texting, emailing is permitted)
- Music and other audio should not be played for others to hear
- Teachers may adjust rules for students, if needed (for example, if students are standing outside of a classroom in order to finish a text or if students are late to class due to cell phone usage)
We want to work together with parents and our community to make sure students understand how to effectively maneuver through the complexity of using technology tools. Please continue to help us communicate the responsible use of technology to our students as we allow them to access their personal communication devices while in school, during non-instructional time.
Thank you for your ongoing support.